Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chicana Falsa

"Attention Shoppers" was a great story! And I want to once again pose my question, How does one represent a culture without stereotyping or generalizing the value of what the culture is and/or represents?
  In class I got some feed back that was helpful, that stereotype usually carries a negative connotation, and also that the word stereotype is not a bad thing. That stereotype is simply a way that our brain organizes information, but when it is used to call someone/something out that it is bad. To me, all of those things are true.
For years this question has been rumbling around my brain. Today while we were looking at the photos of the Mexican restaurants and we were talking about authenticity it made me wonder, when people go out to eat Mexican cuisine how do they know if it is authentic?  what is authentic Mexican cuisine anyways? I know back in my home town we have an amazingly delicious Mexican restaurant, Fiesta Jalisco, and the owner/ chef Pedro is a really nice guy. Most of the waiters and waitresses are Mexican or Mexican-American, as well as their other chefs. To me the cuisine tastes authentic, but what do I know. I've been to Mexico, I don't remember the cuisine though.  My point is what is authentic and how do we know?

No comments:

Post a Comment